Syria expresses 'sorrow' for death of US journalist

By REUTERS
March 2, 2012 22:14
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

LONDON - The Syrian government said on Friday it would like to express its "sadness and sorrow" at the death of US journalist Marie Colvin who was killed in the besieged Syrian city of Homs last week.

"As a natural humanitarian reaction it extends its sincere condolences," Syria's Foreign Ministry said in a statement released by its embassy in London.

Veteran war correspondent Colvin, who worked for Britain's Sunday Times newspaper, and French photographer Remi Ochlik were killed in a Syrian army bombardment on a rebel-held neighborhood of Homs when shells hit a house being used as a media center.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said on Friday their bodies had been handed over to officials from the ICRC and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry statement said the government had "exerted immense efforts" to find out how Colvin was killed and to take out the bodies.

It blamed the reluctance of insurgents and journalists to cooperate with the Syrian authorities for the delay in retrieving the bodies and for threatening the life of French journalist Edith Bouvier who was injured in the same attack and only arrived back in France on Friday.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 15, 2018
Hanegbi apologizes for 'attacks on south are minor' comments

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF