Two Egyptian boys charged over Koran desecration incident

By REUTERS
October 3, 2012 21:24

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO - Two Coptic Christian boys in Egypt accused of tearing up a copy of the Koran and of urinating on it have been placed in juvenile detention, a lawyer for the boys said on Wednesday.

A series of incidents involving religious insults, including protests last month over a film made in California that mocked the Prophet Mohammad, have increased tensions between Muslims and Christians in Egypt.

Residents of Marco village in the province of Beni Suef south of Cairo filed complaints against the two brothers, Mina Nadi, 9, and Nabil Nadi, 10, who were then detained on Tuesday and charged with blasphemy, lawyer Gamal Eid said.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 15, 2018
Report: Turkish citizen deported by Israel, returns to Turkey

By JPOST.COM STAFF