Detention reduced for second Palestinian hunger-striker

By REUTERS
March 4, 2012 22:26

Israel on Sunday reduced by a third the detention period of a Palestinian woman on hunger strike since her arrest last month, but her lawyer said it was not yet clear whether she would break her fast.

Hana Shalabi, a member of Islamic Jihad, stopped taking food after the IDF arrested her in the West Bank on Feb. 16, becoming the second Palestinian detainee in quick succession to resort to a hunger strike.

An IDF court reduced Shalabi's original detention of 6 months to 4 months, a spokesman said.

Shalabi's lawyer, Fadi Qawasmi, said the court would review evidence gathered by Israel's security services indicating she had been planning attacks, and could extend the detention.

"Tomorrow she will be informed of this latest development and we will find out if she will continue her hunger strike or not," Qawasmi told Reuters.

Israel had previously held Shalabi for 25 months in administrative detention but released her in October as part of the Gilad Schalit prisoner swap with Hamas.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 20, 2018
Liberman to Hamas: Attacking Israel was a mistake

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF