UN: 700 rapes reported at Congo-Angola border

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 6, 2010 14:02

KINSHASA, Congo — UN officials say they're investigating reports that some 700 Congolese women were raped by soldiers from neighboring Angola.

Maurizio Giuliano, a spokesman for the UN's humanitarian agency, says the women were among a group of some 7,000 Congolese expelled from Angola in October. He says the UN has called on both nations to investigate.UN refugee agency spokeswoman Celine Schmitt says UN agencies will launch an investigation this month.

The allegations follow a report last week in which the UN said at least 30 women were imprisoned, gang-raped and left in the bush along the border without their clothes.

Congolese frequently cross Angola's border to work as laborers in the mining districts between the two Central African nations.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 18, 2019
Erdogan claims there are no ongoing clashes in northeast Syria

By REUTERS, JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings