Cyprus court detains Israel attack plot suspect

By REUTERS
July 23, 2012 15:35

NICOSIA - A man suspected of planning attacks on Israeli interests in Cyprus was detained by a court on the island on Monday, as Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu once again accused Hezbollah and Iran over the alleged plot.


The 24-year-old suspect, whose name has not been disclosed, was arrested in the Cypriot port city of Limassol on July 7, on suspicion of tracking the movements of Israeli tourists. He is a Swedish national of Lebanese origin.


Officials in Jerusalem said he was planning an attack similar to a suicide bus bombing in the Bulgarian city of Burgas which killed five Israelis last week.


Netanyahu told the US "Fox News Sunday" television programme that the "modus operandi" of the Cyprus suspect was similar to that used by the Burgas bomber.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2018
Putin, after meeting Japan's Abe, calls for restraint on North Korea

By REUTERS