Libya Olympic committee chief released, deputy says

By REUTERS
July 22, 2012 13:55

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

TRIPOLI - The president of Libya's Olympic Committee was freed on Sunday a week after he was taken from his car by gunmen in Tripoli, and is now in his home, his deputy said.

Nabil Elalem was with an colleague last Sunday when two cars carrying armed men in military-style clothing blocked the road, colleagues said. The men told him he had to go with them and sped away, leaving his colleague behind.

There had been no news about his whereabouts since.

"He was released at 6:30 a.m. (04:30 GMT) this morning. He is now at his home," Noureddin El-Krekshi, deputy chief of the committee, told Reuters, without giving details. "He is fine."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
Turkish lira weakens to 5.86, U.S. warns of more sanctions

By REUTERS