Munich massacre widows: IOC memorial a PR stunt

By GIL STERN STERN SHEFLER
July 23, 2012 19:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The International Olympic Committee's (IOC) surprise memorial for the victims of the Munich massacre at the Olympic village in London was a public relations stunt, said bereaved family members on Monday.

Ankie Spitzer and Ilana Romano, the widows of Israeli athletes slain by Palestinians terrorists at the 1972 Olympics in Munich, told The Jerusalem Post they were outraged by  the "spontaneous" ceremony at the Olympic village held earlier in the day, calling it a ruse intended to deflect criticism.

"He is trying to do the bare minimum," said Romano over the phone, referring to IOC President Jacques Rogge. "This is shameful."

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
China cuts Air China's flight hours, launches safety review after incident

By REUTERS