Report: No evidence links Mubarak to Israel gas deal

By JPOST.COM STAFF
January 21, 2012 19:17

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

There is no evidence linking former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak and the controversial gas deal with Israel, Mubarak's defense lawyer said on Saturday according to AFP.

According to the lawyer, Farid al-Deeb, it was Egypt's spy agency that negotiated the 2005 deal, which resulted in $714 million in losses, according to AFP, due to below-market value pricing.

Deeb said statements by the former head of Egypt's intelligence services, Oman Suleiman, "ascertain that [Mubarak] was not involved in the pricing process or anything else concerning the deal," arguing that the deal was carried out in accordance with "international norms."

Mubarak is standing trial for allegedly ordering the killing of hundreds of demonstrators during the 18-day uprising that led to his ouster in February of last year.

Prosecutors have called for the former Egyptian leader to be hanged for his crimes.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 14, 2018
Italy motorway bridge collapses over Genoa, 'dozens' feared dead

By REUTERS