New details emerge of 2nd US facility in violent Benghazi

By REUTERS
October 11, 2012 02:50
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

WASHINGTON - A public clash in Congress on Wednesday over photographs depicting the location of a second, semi-secret US facility in Benghazi, Libya put the spotlight on a compound said to be more secure than the public American mission where US Ambassador Christopher Stevens died last month.

When State Department officials, describing the chain of events on the night Stevens and three others died in a terrorist attack, displayed commercial satellite images of the two US facilities, Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a Utah Republican, sharply accused them of divulging classified material.

"I was told specifically while I was in Libya I could not and should not ever talk about what you're showing here today," Chaffetz said at a hearing of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. A congressional aide confirmed he was referring to the second site.

The existence of the second compound has been widely reported in accounts of the Sept. 11 violence in Benghazi, often being referred to as a "safe house" or "annex" to the temporary US consulate. State Department officials at Wednesday's hearing said the photographs were not secret.

While the US officials gave a fleeting public glimpse into the compound, they divulged little of substance on its purpose prior to the Benghazi attack, which has became an issue in the US presidential campaign and the subject of multiple State Department and congressional probes.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 17, 2018
Rouhani sees Iran, Iraq expanding trade despite US sanctions

By REUTERS