Philippines, Muslim rebels vow to spare civilian

Philippines, Muslim rebe

By
October 28, 2009 04:02

The Philippine government and a large Muslim rebel group signed an accord pledging not to target civilians and to protect schools and hospitals, an indication of improving relations after years of conflict, officials said Wednesday. The agreement, signed in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, aims to avoid massive civilian suffering in the southern Philippines, where hundreds were killed and more than half a million displaced when peace talks collapsed last year. "The next logical move is to resume the peace negotiations," said Eid Kabalu, spokesman for the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which has been fighting for Muslim self-rule in the predominantly Roman Catholic nation's south.


Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2019
Sudan military names three members for sovereign council - Sky News Arabia

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings